Monday, December 31, 2012

Closing 2012: Remembrances and Resolutions

Dearest readers,

Tonight 2012 comes to a close.  Oddly enough, it feels like not that long ago I was writing the round-up for the movies I watched in 2011.  One of the many things I've learned this year is that being catastrophically overworked warps my sense of time in bizarre ways.  I sometimes forget what day it is or have no idea what time it is, let alone retain an accurate sense of how long ago things happened.  I suppose that's also part of what can happen when suddenly you really are finally pretty much an adult, which is something I accepted sometime in the last year or so, even if it was without consciously thinking about it much.

I never got around to writing out my resolutions for this year, but that's not a terribly good habit to get into.  Having noticed that, I want to take a bit of time to look back on this year and then craft some aspirations for the next one.


Academically, the following things happened this year:

  • I finished my thesis, but more crucially, I made the good decision of electing to buy an extra bound copy for my personal possession.  It's surprising how satisfying it is having a hardcover book with your name on the spine--it really compensates for the no-one-will-ever-read-this stuff.
  • I successfully presented my comprehensive exam, totally officially earning my Master's degree.
  • I applied for and secured my second externship.
  • I stayed at my first externship long enough to finish therapeutic work that needed extra time to be done properly.  This made for an exhausting summer, but I'm proud of myself for seeing that work through.
  • I defended my dissertation proposal with my fabulous committee.
  • I completed applications for internship while only coming terrifyingly close to losing my mind but not losing it altogether, and have received a satisfying number of interviews.
  • I finished all but one of my classes required to complete graduate school.

More importantly, these other things happened this year:
  • Boyfriend and I celebrated five beautiful years together with a week in the city where we met.  Those were easily the best days of this year.  I would also note that they served as blissful reminders of why I love him so much, but I wouldn't want to make it out like those don't happen all the time.  They do.
  • We lost Tommy, but happily only after gaining Charlie.
  • My gorgeous, brilliant, spectacular best friend got ENGAGED, and I get to be in her bridal party, and it's basically the best thing ever.
  • My stepsister had her first child.  Hurray for babies!
  • My stepbrother got engaged like days ago!  Hurray again!!
  • I got to spend some really wonderful days with my family at home, where I live now, and in other places.
  • Though I unfortunately often forget it, Boyfriend and I got to travel to some beautiful places together, including:
Beautiful
...and delicious.

And:
Lake at sunrise
...and while reclining on a boat.  Not too shabby.

And:


Simply beautiful, all-around.

And finally, already mentioned but still needing to be pictured:




  • Also this happened:
nbd
    • Which facilitated my falling in love all over again with Nate Silver.

In short, many things, big and small, happened this year, many of which I have good reason to be grateful for.  I remain relieved to say goodbye to 2012, but that's primarily because it feels good that many of these things are done and behind me, and exciting things are surely to come.

So now: resolutions!


1. Increase meditative practice.

I've continued (for the most part) daily meditation, but it's time for me to get more serious about my practice.  I want to read more Buddhist and meditation literature, lengthen my sits, and maybe even go to some sangha events this year.

2. Take more pictures.

As the selection of travel photos might show, I really love photography.  I used to devote a lot of time to taking photos, sorting through them, and posting them.  It has been an immense source of pleasure for me.  I have no business living where I do and not taking pictures.  Even if I lived in a hole in the ground, photography is so soul-nourishing to me that it deserves much more of my time than I've given it in the last few years.  I miss it, so I need to bring it back into my life.

And while I'm at it, I really need to keep reading for fun.  I actually got to do a decent amount of that this year, and I like it way too much to give it up.

3. SERIOUSLY: Call people more.

I have been utterly terrible about talking to people I love this year.  I need to fix that, possibly by having regular call-people-to-bother-them times.

4. Accept and embrace the remainder of the internship process.

This year's terrifying resolution!  I'm having a hard time tolerating the uncertainty of this process.  I may have to move, or I might not.  I may have a summer (which is so amazing to contemplate I really have to not even think about it because I get giddy and sad at the same time and it's just not productive), or as per usual apparently, totally no summer at all (God damn it please no).  I may match in phase one, or phase two, or not at all.  I'm hoping to get myself into a more peaceful mindset before interviews (which start in a week, so good luck to me?), but at the very least before Match Day at the end of February.  Any outcome is a good outcome, because it's what the universe has intended for me.

Right?

Finally: 5. Watch SO MANY MOVIES.

But at least 52.  Duh!

Very Happiest of New Years, everyone!!  I have a really good feeling about 2013!


See you then!

{Heart}

No comments:

Post a Comment