Friday, July 31, 2020

Figuring Out How to Survive in "Palm Springs"

Hi team!

I am so excited to talk to you about "Palm Springs" (2020)!


I'm not going to tiptoe around my opinion of this movie: Oh God I loved it. 

Here's what I am going to tiptoe around: Basically anything that gives away what the movie is about.

I had the all-too-rare experience of going into "Palm Springs" with literally no information about it.  That is extremely fortuitous, as this is a film that uniquely benefits from that ignorance.  So, if you aren't already aware of this movie and are down to acquire no further knowledge about it before diving in, I strongly encourage you to do exactly that.

While preserving overall ignorance of the story told by "Palm Springs", allow me to assure you that it contains the following things:

  • Excellent, nuanced, highly watchable performances by Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, and J.K. Simmons.  Milioti is the standout in this crowd, and she is a damned delight.
  • Genuinely funny and creative moments of humor.
  • A whip-smart script.
  • Moments of wonder and lovely emotional depth.
  • A skillful, inventive, and highly entertaining evasion of what could easily have become a stifling Gilligan's Island problem.  And you know I love that!
  • Relatedly: a surprisingly prescient, prescriptive, and ultimately empowering narrative for precisely this era.  

I haven't felt so inspired and excited about a movie like this in a while.  It therefore comes as no surprise that I gave "Palm Springs" a 5.

It's streamable now on Hulu.  Go watch it!

{Heart}

No comments:

Post a Comment