Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Something About Not Sucking at Life/Watching Movies

Oh hi!

I know I'm not doing the best job of doing that whole writing-a-post-at-the-beginning-of-each-month thing, but at least this time I'm not both late *and* new movie-less.

Behold--I watched movies in March!

9. The Wrestler (4)
10. Stavisky... (4)
11. A Single Man (3.5)
12. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (3)

This is IN SPITE of what was a relatively busy month, so I'm very proud of myself.  I had a midterm at the beginning of the month, half a spring break a little later, another midterm (right) after that, then my terrifying, looming thesis presentation near the end of the month (which I actually had data for!!!).  AND YET: Movies were watched.  This is truly a triumph of the will/human spirit. 

Your choice.

Can I just say: Netflix is seriously a cinephilic grad student's best friend.  Three of the four movies I watched last month were either mailed to me or "View Instantly", making the cost of doing movie-watching business very manageable for me.

That being said, I'm very, very excited about the venue at which I viewed last month's sole non-Netflix movie.  I saw Alain Resnais's "Stavisky..."(1974) at a newly-renovated museum of film that is like literally 15 MINUTES from my apartment.  Walking.  NOT EVEN THAT QUICKLY. 

It's absolutely stunning, and some much-beloved family members got me a membership for Christmas, and if I weren't in school at the moment I would probably live there.  All I can say is that place is in trouble once finals are over, because seriously.  I'm moving in.  They show movies by French New Wave directors on really big beautiful new screens.  That's all I need to know.

Tell them to adopt me please.

Sitting in the theater waiting for the feature to start, I was so excited I took the following blurry picture of the amazing and vibrant curtain covering the screen:

Ta-dahhhhh!!!

The movie was fun!  Alain Resnais is a lovely and wonderful human/director.  He gave us "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" (1959) and the brutal but incredibly important holocaust documentary "Night and Fog"(1955).  It was an incredible treat to see his work properly, in a theater.

And Jean-Paul Belmondo is my favorite.  He's just a delight to watch.

Anyway, it might be evident that I'm phoning this post in a little bit.  Please accept my apologies.  I'm admittedly a little scattered this week, since I'm ramping up to write both my thesis and dissertation proposals (not fun) while simultaneously getting ready for what promises to be a SPECTACULAR weekend spent in the city where I went to college with a pack of some of my other favorite humans.  While I'm a bit all over the place, I still wanted to at least post something in what is technically the first half (ergo, "the beginning"?) of the month.

More serious posts to follow, promise.

I hope you're all enjoying the slowly encroaching but mercifully inevitable spring!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment