Saturday, February 25, 2012

Touché, "Drive". Touché.

In honor of the Academy Awards tomorrow night, I have a concession to make.

Itz okay ryan.
At least ur still pritty.

Remember how I wrote about "Drive" (2011) last year and was all annoyed at how much buzz it was getting in spite of having no characters and a weak-at-best plot?  Remember how, in spite of wanting to believe that several culture commentators, trusted film criticism sites, and publications couldn't possibly be wrong in their unanimous support of this film, I decided that they were completely delusional?

Well, I suppose I'm a bit vindicated.  "Drive" got roundly "snubbed" by the Oscars, not getting nominated in any major categories (Note: "snubbed" is in quotes because being "snubbed" implies being denied something you deserve, and as you might guess, in this case I find that characterization a bit inaccurate).  I hardly look to the Academy as an unimpeachable judge of good cinema, so while I take its rejection of any movie with a grain of salt, I would nevertheless be lying if I said I didn't experience a tiny smidgen of schadenfreude when I learned that all that "best movie of the year" crap didn't pan out, little gold statue-wise.

No, it certainly didn't pan out... Or did it?  See, while the movie didn't get the best picture nod or recognition for best screen play (Aahahahahaha, what a ridiculous proposition!), it did get nominated in one category: Best Sound Editing.

You may remember that I noted the sound editing in "Drive" in my original post on the movie:
There were definitely some charmingly realistic acoustic tricks thrown in to make sure you knew someone's face just got stomped in, but the violence was so random, senseless, and so extreme as to not seem plausible in the real world.  It's desensitizing, achieving exactly the opposite effect of the violence in "Eastern Promises".  That, I would argue, is pretty troubling.
...Notice that little compliment buried in there?  Notice how I begrudgingly acknowledge the realism with which sound conveyed the rending of tissue and brutal crunching of little bones as shoe meets face?

Guys, I totally foresaw this nomination!  And, despite my selection of this movie as the worst in 2011, I have to concede: "Drive" definitely deserves the Oscar for sound editing.  If I can still tell precisely what kind of violence is transpiring even with eyes averted, that's some pretty masterful manipulation of sound.

So: Touché "Drive."  You win this round.

<3

2 comments:

  1. Okey dokey. So I've always kinda liked Drive. When I saw it in theaters, I felt weird about how much I enjoyed it considering the very real aura of loathing which developed in the theater around me. But regardless of whether you like or hate the movie, the sound editing and sound design is fantastic.

    And its important to remember that the sound of the film is more that just cracking bone and gushing blood (though that is in there). It's the sound of a fist clenching leather driving gloves, the sound of an engine shifting, and or the sound made by the aforementioned leather gloves brushing against a stubbled cheek.

    I can't say that the sound editing in Drive was the best of the year, but it really is something special. I'm glad that it was recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair point about the wide variety and nuance of sound necessary for effective sound editing, Mark. I suppose the face-breaking example stood out most prominently for me given that I wasn't covering my eyes during more acoustically subtle sequences of the movie. Averting my gaze allowed me (albeit somewhat unwillingly) to appreciate(?) the sound editing in that particular sequence all the more.

    Also, I have no idea whatsoever what you're referring to with the whole aura of loathing thing.... Heh.

    Thank you for reading and for your comment! Please feel free to keep commenting! As you may have noticed (ex: Post on "Super 8"), I welcome the opportunity to engage in friendly battle over film. :D

    ReplyDelete