Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, and In Memoriam

Hi guys,

Today I have something a little different than our usual PsychoCinematic fare.

Starting in high school (a bit belatedly, if you ask me), my dad started getting me Albums of Great Importance, typically for Christmas.  He started with Abbey Road and Revolver, but soon followed up with what continues to be one of my very, very most favorite albums of all time: Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.

Trust me, there's some serious Beatles representation on my list of favorite records.  This is not to snub the Fab Four.  In fact, yesterday was Paul McCartney's birthday, reminding me how lucky we are to have some true living legends still among us. 

However, on the same day, we lost a literal and figurative musical giant: brilliant E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons.


Dad and I were fortunate enough to see Bruce and his band play together shortly after I fell in love with Born to Run.  Among so many other things, I was struck by the much-heralded exuberance with which the Boss plowed through his set, clearly still very much in love with his music and the people who love it too, bandmates and fans alike.  He was and is ageless in his full-hearted showmanship.  I was so exhilarated merely for the chance to let the music wash over me and be in the same space--however massive--with this fabulous group of musicians, and most importantly, to share it with the person who first shared this music with me.  It's a shining memory for me.

So today, I'm grateful for my father.  I'm grateful for so many of the memories we have together, and the many gifts (material and otherwise) he's given me.  I'm grateful for music that moves me and the people who make it, and I'm grieved to see one of them go.  But I suppose I'm also grateful for the reminder that life is beautiful and precious, largely because of the people with whom we share it.


As soon as I heard the news about Clarence, my mind was shot through with his mournful, beautiful, powerful solo on the last track of Born to Run.  It's one of my favorite tracts of music.  It made me emotional on a normal day, but of course, it's particularly heartrending today.

Fast forward to the 4 minute-ish mark and enjoy.

Play on, Big Man.

Happy Father's Day!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment